When’s the last time you had your coffee for here, not to go?
We love the convenience of a cup to go, but there is something extra special about the leisurely time spent having a cup at your favourite coffee shop.
Today, we're focusing on a topic that's often overlooked but is crucial to the coffee shop experience - etiquette.
Whether you're a regular at our shops or a first-time visitor, understanding the unwritten rules of coffee shop conduct can help create a pleasant atmosphere for everyone.
Understanding Coffee Shop Etiquette
Coffee shop etiquette is all about respect and consideration for others. It's about creating a space where everyone can enjoy their coffee, catch up on work, or have a chat with friends. While these rules are unwritten, they are universally understood and appreciated by coffee lovers everywhere.
The first step in your coffee shop journey is ordering your drink. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Know your order: Before you reach the counter, have your order ready. This helps keep the line moving and allows the baristas to serve everyone efficiently.
- Be polite: Remember, baristas are people too. A smile and a 'please' can go a long way.
- Understand coffee terminology: Knowing the difference between a latte and a cappuccino can make the ordering process smoother for everyone involved.
- Have your payment method ready: This keeps the line moving swiftly.
- Speak clearly: If your order is complex, speak clearly and slowly enough that it can be written on the cup.
Once you have your coffee, it's time to find a seat. Here are some unwritten rules to follow:
- Don't occupy more space than necessary: If you're alone, try not to take up a four-seater table.
- Don't overstay your welcome: If the coffee shop is busy, try not to stay too long after finishing your coffee, especially if others are waiting for a seat.
- Respect personal space: Try not to sit too close to others if there are other seats available.
Noise and Phone Etiquette
Maintaining a pleasant noise level is crucial in a coffee shop. Here are some tips:
- Keep conversations at a reasonable volume: Everyone enjoys a good chat, but try not to disturb others around you.
- Use headphones: If you're listening to music or watching a video, use headphones so as not to disturb others.
- Keep phone calls short and sweet: If you need to make or take a call, keep it brief or step outside if possible.
Using the Coffee House as Your Pop-Up Office or Hangout Spot
Many of us use coffee shops as a workspace or a place to relax. Here are some etiquette tips for these situations:
- Order a drink about once every three hours if you'll be there for an extended period.
- Use the Wi-Fi for reading emails or simple web searches, not for data-heavy activities like downloading large files or streaming videos.
- Outlets are for everyone, so come with your device(s) fully charged.
- If you're listening to anything, wear headphones.
- Keep phone calls short and sweet so others aren’t forced to overhear a one-sided conversation.
Hope that helps! What are your coffee shop pet peeves?
We look forward to seeing you again soon, at your favourite local Bean Around The World.